President Donald Trump will head on Wednesday a meeting at the White House in which he will analyze different offers for the sale of Tiktok, in an attempt to prevent this social network from being prohibited in the United States, according to US media.
According to the NBC and CBS News chains, which cite familiar sources with the discussions within the administration, Trump will talk to his advisors about offers presented by US companies to the Chinese company bytedance to buy totally or partially Tiktok.
This Saturday, April 5, expires the deadline for Bytedance to detach from the platform. If not, a law approved by Congress will enter into force last year that would force the application to cease its operations in the US, claiming national security concerns for its relationship with China.
Possible interested investors include Blackstone and Oracle, as well as other private capital firms, risk capital and important actors in the technological sector, according to CBS.
Lee: Trump states that Tiktok sales agreement will be reached before Saturday
The meeting in the Oval Office will attend high positions of the administration involved in the negotiations, including the vice president, JD Vance; the Secretary of Commerce, Howard Lutnick; The White House National Security Advisor, Mike Waltz; and the director of National Intelligence, Tulsi Gabbard, according to NBC and CBS.
This weekend, aboard the presidential plane Air Force One, Trump told journalists that there were “many potential buyers” for Tiktok.
“There is a lot of interest in Tiktok. The decision will be mine,” said the president, who expressed his desire to keep the application “alive.”
The future of Tiktok in the United States was questioned last year, when the then president Joe Biden signed a law that forced Bytedance to sell the application to a non -Chinese buyer or, otherwise, face his prohibition in the country.
No agreement came to be completed and the platform ceased to be operational in the US for a few hours in January.
Lee: Blackstone evaluates a small participation in a Tiktok American split: Reuters
However, on January 20, on his first day he returned to the White House, Trump signed an executive order that granted Tiktok a period of 75 days, until April 5, to find a solution that disconnects it at least partially by Bytedonce.
With EFE information
Do you like to inform yourself for Google News? Follow our showcase to have the best stories